So we needed something warming and filling tonight. Something that’s not going to break the bank or take over the whole night to cook. And I’m not opposed to a veggie night – I don’t think there’s a need to eat meat every meal – nor every day- so here we have the solution to the above equations making one very tasty dinner ……
- 650g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 onion, Sliced into fine half moons
- 2 carrots, chopped in to finger length batons
- 1 corgette chopped into finger length batons
- Thumb of ginger + 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 100 split red lentils
- good handful coriander- I use the frozen kind cos I always have it as a store cupboard staple – but fresh is going to be very good.
- Greek-style yogurt – a good spoon full.
- Chopped sweet potato goes into a pan of boiling water ,cook for 15 mins, or until tender.
- While the ‘tatos are getting to the mash able state, heat the oil in a pan
- fry the onion and carrot, 2 minutes,
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring for 1 min more.
- Stir in the curry powder,
- Mix the Stock cube, tomato puree to 750ml of boiling water, add this with the lentils to the Veggie pan
- Cover the pan and rapid simmer for 20 mins until the vegetables are tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the chopped coriander.
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain and mash them with the yogurt and season
- Spoon the lentil mix into one big or individual dishes then top with the sweet potato-mash.
- Season with the coriander and pepper
wash up roll call-
1 deep fry pan, 1 sauce pan, 1 chop board, 1 knife (and peeler if you used it), 1 wooden spoon (masher if you use it)
whatever you serve it in and whatever you eat it with