So after a Roast Chicken, you are left with all you need to make that meal stretch into another using the bare-ish bones you were going the throw away (see Bone Smashing Time -Chicken stock for the soul.) The packet of frozen peas that are in your freezer – that you probably partly used for said roast. Bit of butter – which you should have left from the basting of your chicken. Wine (not essential) because I normally have some sort of bottle on the go – and roast chicken without wine is weird at my table. Parmesan – the only bit I didn’t use in my roast but there is normally some cheese in the fridge doing not alot.
My mother – knowing I’m foodie inclined (we had to share a kitchen for many years) often gifts me the chicken carcass from her roasts dinners( we live less than a mile away) because I hate the idea of a free meal going to waste – and looking after the pennies helps pay the rent.
so make Monday night a (virtually) free dinner
What you Need:
The stock you’ve made from your roast chicken carcass after your Sunday roast
The meat you’ve picked off your roast chicken carcass after your Sunday roast
1 onion – fine chop
Olive oil -tablespoon / “a lug”
A Cup of risotto rice
Glass of white wine (not compulsory)
A cup of Frozen peas
Bit of Butter
Parmesan – Cheddar will be accepted – a good inch chunk
- Peel and finely chop the onions – put them in a large pan on a low heat the olive oil.
- Cook for around 15 mins / softened but not coloured. -Stir occasionally
- Stir in 300g risotto rice -allow to soak up the onion-y oils.
- turn up the heat -add in a glass of white wine or vermouth if you have it to perfume the dish.
- Allow this to cook out / be absorbed so it looks like you never added it
- Add stock a ladle at a time – allowing it to sizzle away (see above) before adding the next ladle.
- Stirring regularly for 16 mins in total while you add Ladle after Ladle( I typically use the cup from measuring cos I avoid washing up where I can) – leaving a bit of stock left over (see below)
- Add frozen peas and any left over chicken -cook for a few (3-4) mins
- The rice should be cooked but still holding its shape.
- Adding a final splash of stock – loosey oozy consistency.
- Beat in the butter + g rate in most of the Parmesan (other hard cheese acceptable)
- Remove from heat and leave covered for 2 mins and allow the fats and the rice to muddle together as they should.
- Finish with olive oil (not essential) and serve with rocket or other leafy salad.
Wash up roll call
1 saucepan (+ the pan with the stock if made fresh) – 1 cup (+ 1 ladle if you didn’t use the cup to add stock)- spatula / wooden spoon- grater, 2 bowls, 2 forks,
Satisfaction- made virtually for free from what’s left from Sundays chicken / cupboard staples